Keeping Track of Stats?

A few years ago, when my daughter was in U10, I started keep track of very basic stats for each game and compiling them in a spreadsheet. I kept just a few key things like walks, strikeouts, hits (real hits) and at bats. I calculated specific stats for strikeouts/ab and on base percentage to get a feel for how the girls were improving.

This year, at the U12 level, I've moved keeping a full set of stats and it's giving me great insights into how my players are growing and learning. While it's obvious who is always striking out, it's interesting to see how they are trending, and who is simply hiding behind drawing a walk.

I've also added pitcher stats that include ERA (recalculated for 6 innings!), hits, walks, IP, starts, wins, losses and saves. Again, it's been really helpful to look back at each game, along with my notes.

I never show the girls the raw numbers, but I do use them to configure practices, batting orders and to help girls one on one to improve.

Do you keep stats?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment