Deja Vu All Over Again

Last night at practice I had the oddest feeling of deja vu. Before our first game, we tuned up a bit by working on cut off/relay plays and in particular, plays at the plate. I remember learning this myself at 11 or 12 years old and really struggling with it. I seem to remember being yelled at quite a bit for missing the cut off!

Defensively, my favorite play has always been when there is hit to the outfield w/a runner in scoring position. Seeing the pitcher back up home while 1B comes out to mound to get the cut off is like some sort of intricate dance move - it's the essence of team baseball/softball and as it turns out, is as fun to do as it is to teach.

It's a lot to take in, but I'm committed to teaching the girls more about the game as they get older. You have to start somewhere.

The other thing we did last night for the first time was some serious sliding. We did 2 rounds of stealing 2B off the catcher (work in catcher drills while you are at it). We added on a round of advancing to home on a passed ball which requires a slide as well. 2 girls still can't slide, but I think we'll get that fixed soon enough.

I'm fall in love with the game all over again each year I coach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment