It's Almost Game Time!

I've not ever coached in a season where I've had enough practices to feel ready to play... and this year is no exception! My U12 girls softball team has had 7 practices so far, and have 2 0r 3 more before our first game next Friday night under the lights.

I decided that there are just some things we'll have to learn as we go, and a few that I'm really going to focus on to get the girls ready. I do this every year, and it always drives me crazy because I just love to practice!

Major focus areas before our first game:

  • Get the girls to see some live pitching
  • Get my pitchers to pitch to batters
  • Sliding into bases
  • Game situations (my favorite of all drills is to field a full team and use the extra players as live runners)
  • Signs (basic ones only: bunt, steal and take the next pitch)
What we aren't going to get to and will have to learn as we go this year...
  • 2B backing up the pitcher after every pitch
  • Additional backups (in particular, RF backing up all plays to 1B and LF backing up 3B)
  • Advanced catchers drills and specific practice including the extremely important "fake" throw to second base to try to fool the runner on third!
  • Pitchers covering home on all passed balls with runners on third
What we probably won't get to...
  • Hit and run
  • Delayed steals (except for this one girl, who I think I can teach)
BTW, I found this terrific site that all you coaches should check out... I also put it in my "Ultimate Resource Guide."

It's almost game time and I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment